Maintain Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding
Real cedar shake siding, with its rustic charm and beauty, is one of the most popular siding materials on the market today and vinyl or polypropylene cedar shake siding is an exceptional alternative to real cedar for an abundance of reasons.
While real cedar shakes add an air of elegance to a home, there are significant downsides.
First, there is the cost — not only the initial cost of real wood siding but, perhaps more significantly, the frequent and expensive maintenance issues that homeowners must contend with for years to come. Second, there’s the inconvenience and hassle of having to maintain real wood. Depending on your climate, wood siding needs to be resealed or repainted every 2-5 years. This is not only expensive but time-consuming, especially if you plan on doing it yourself to save money.
Homeowners are now looking for more maintenance free and cost-effective options. Enter vinyl or polypropylene cedar shake siding!
How To Clean Vinyl Cedar Shake Siding
Vinyl or polypropylene cedar shakes provide all the rugged charm of cedar without the high cost and high maintenance of wood. It remains virtually maintenance free. However, as with any other product which is exposed to atmospheric conditions it will become dirty. The good news is, it can be cleaned quite easily with the use of an ordinary garden hose. Here’s how:
- Begin by spraying your siding with a strong jet of water from your garden hose.
- If stubborn stains cannot be removed with water, use the following procedure should be:
- Equip your garden hose with a soft-bristled brush.
- For areas where the soil is of a stubborn nature, the following cleaning solution works well:
- 1/3 cup household detergent
- 2/3 cup trisodium phosphate
- 1 gallon of water
- If mildew is a problem, substitute one quart of 5% sodium hypochlorite (household bleach) for one-quart water in the above formula.
- Where the house is extremely dirty, start washing from the bottom and go to the top, rinsing frequently.
- Cleaning solutions should be permitted to stand on the surface of the siding for several minutes before rinsing.
There you have it! Cleaning and maintenance of vinyl or polypropylene shake siding couldn’t be any easier. Another added advantage is that vinyl shake siding is generally thicker than regular vinyl siding. Because it tends to be a little thicker, it has a deeper more realistic wooden texture or look. Additionally, most vinyl siding can withstand hurricane-force winds. Making it ideal for coastal areas or any area where harsh weather is a concern.
Why KP Cedar Shake?
Perfection Shingles, our polypropylene shake shingles, are manufactured from molds patterned from real cedar shingles, so every panel has a natural, hand-crafted appearance and deep grain. Perfection Shingles will not crack, rot or warp. They never need painting, can withstand very harsh weather conditions, and won’t get eaten by termites.
The low-maintenance, low-cost dependability of vinyl siding coupled with the authentic outdoor rustic look are the reasons why many homeowners are switching from real cedar to vinyl or polypropylene cedar shake siding. The simple lines, historic style and natural beauty all enhance the exterior of your home. With minimal maintenance, this siding will provide years of carefree beauty and elegance to your home’s exterior.